Jump down to the list of employment opportunities
This free benefit offered by SLSA provides the legal community with a place to post job openings for all categories of job positions.
SLSA assists in every possible manner to procure employment for members of this association and cooperates with attorneys in filling positions in law offices, but in no event does this committee act as an employment agency.
Employers desiring/needing to place an advertisement for employment on SLSA's website may view the "Employment Opportunities" page on this website and format the advertisement like those already posted. Employers will also need to give the following information to the Employment Chair: name, firm name, address, phone number(s), areas of law practice, software used, position available, and years of experience required. The attorney/employer is requested to e-mail the Employment Chair with the advertisement formatted like those currently posted on the "Employment Opportunities" page. Advertisements for employment are usually posted as soon as possible.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to contact the employers, schedule interviews, exchange résumés, and to discuss benefits and salary, etc. All information is listed until notification to drop the name/position is given to the Employment Chair.
The Employment Chair retains editing privileges on all ads requested and placed on this website.
Please contact the Employment Chair, Jaymie Moralez at Jaymie.Moralez@jud.ca.gov, for additional information.
SACRAMENTO LSA DOES NOT MAINTAIN A REGISTER OF APPLICANTS SEEKING EMPLOYMENT.
(NOTICE: This is a free service to employers and members of the Sacramento Legal Secretaries Association; however, we are not an employment agency. This website is updated and maintained with employment listings on a regular basis, and employers are asked to notify the webmaster as soon as a position has been filled. The policy of the Sacramento Legal Secretaries Association regarding the posting of ads for employment is to leave the item listed on the website and in our monthly bulletin for up to three months or when we are notified that the position has been filled, whichever is longer. The Webmaster retains editing privilege on all ads requested to be placed on this website.)
Last updated 12/17/14
- (12/15/14) Paralegal – Environmental Law and Litigation. Somach Simmons & Dunn, a mid-size environmental law firm, seeks a paralegal with at least 5 years litigation experience that includes case management and trial preparation. This individual will work closely with attorneys and other paralegals handling cases in their day-to-day and pre-trial management. Essential functions include: Gather, organize, summarize, and index documents from various sources. Draft correspondence, pleadings, discovery, motions, subpoenas, client reports, and other related documents. Cite check and shepardize pleadings. Review and analyze discovery productions. Accurately maintain and update data to detailed client and case-specific databases. Assist attorneys in discovery preparation and implementation, and preparation for hearings and trials. Be able to analyze and accurately interpret court procedures and rules, and have a knowledge of federal and state court deadlines.
Requirements: A minimum 5 years of litigation/case management paralegal experience with either a four-year degree or paralegal certificate. Ability to efficiently gather, maintain, and organize information and voluminous documents. Ability to analyze, categorize, and accurately summarize documents in an efficient manner. Organizational skills to work independently and meet deadlines. Time management skills to handle multiple tasks accurately. Must be computer literate and proficient on Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; experience with Lexis and Concordance is a plus. Must be detail oriented and have ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Team player attitude is essential. We are looking for someone who can work independently and anticipate the needs of the client and the attorney who handles them. This is a great opportunity for a self-starter who likes to work closely with attorneys providing excellent client service.
May consider less than full time employment for the right candidate.
Somach Simmons & Dunn offers an excellent work environment with competitive salary and benefits including paid parking. Insurance benefits are 100% employer paid for both the employee and their dependents. Interested candidates should send their resume with cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or Somach Simmons & Dunn, Attn: Human Resources, 500 Capitol Mall, Suite 1000, Sacramento, CA 95814 (no phone calls please).
Somach Simmons & Dunn is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and in providing a work environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. The firm does not unlawfully discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, genetic information, medical condition, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran status, all other characteristics proscribed by law, and discrimination on the basis of gender identity are strictly prohibited.
- (12/5/14) Litigation Secretary – Natural Resources. Downey Brand LLP seeks a Litigation Secretary for its Downtown Sacramento office. The person hired for this position will work within the firm's Water Law practice. Candidates must have significant (5+ years) experience in a litigation environment, and have thorough knowledge of federal and state court procedures and timelines. Experience dealing with public/administrative agencies is also desired. Requires 75+ wpm accurate typing, word processing and proficiency with MS Office applications including Office 2010 and Windows 7. Ability to accurately proofread documents, set priorities and work under pressure is critical. Must have a positive attitude, strong written and verbal communication skills, impeccable attendance and punctuality, a strong work ethic, and be highly organized with an extreme level of attention to detail. Salary is commensurate with experience, and firm-paid health benefits and parking are provided. Qualified applicants may submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to the HR Director via the firm's web application: https://lawcruit.micronapps.com/sup/v3/lc_supp_app_frm.aspx?lawfirm=169&id=42. No telephone calls please. Downey Brand LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
- (12/5/14) Docketing Specialist - Sacramento Office. Downey Brand LLP, Sacramento's largest law firm, seeks an experienced docket/calendar clerk. The primary function of the position will be to provide docketing support to attorneys, paralegals and legal secretaries. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: calendaring daily incoming mail; maintaining docket due dates and remarks in the docket system; researching state and federal court rules; preparation of daily and weekly calendar reports; performing conflict searches; reviewing client intake forms and communicating with attorneys to resolve potential conflicts of interest. Skills and experience required/desired: Must have three or more years of substantial experience computing calendar deadlines for state and federal courts using CompuLaw/Vision docketing software. Knowledge of court rules and procedures for both state and federal courts is a must; familiarity with legal terminology and documents involved in the court filing process is essential, as is a working knowledge of the litigation process. Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel, adaptability to change, and balancing competing demands in a fast-paced environment are imperative. Qualified applicants may submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to the Director of Human Resources via the firm's web application. No phone calls please. Downey Brand LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
- (12/5/14) Legal Secretary II Exam. The County of Sacramento is accepting applications for Legal Secretary II exam 28111-C. A Legal Secretary II performs a wide variety of specialized legal and general clerical work which includes composing and typing legal documents and correspondence; processing of legal documents, and maintaining legal case records. The work performed requires independent judgment/discretion and is subject to minimal direction and instruction. The range of duties typically involves performing work in multiple, unrelated areas of law and for several attorneys, and/or other staff. Incumbents may be required to use shorthand to perform some work assignments and frequently provide lead direction to other clerical staff.
Applicants must meet the special requirements below AND
EITHER: One year of experience in Sacramento County service in the class of Legal Secretary I OR Two years of clerical experience involving the preparation and processing of legal documents for court action such as those described in the Examples of Duties. Education or training from an accredited college, business school, or training school that is directly related to the Knowledge and Abilities specified for this class may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience (30 semester units or 45 quarter units equal one year of experience.)
All positions in this class require the ability to type from clear copy at the rate of 50 net words per minute.
Some positions in this class may require taking oral dictation involving legal terminology. To be eligible for appointment to a "short-hand-required" position, the applicant must have the ability to take oral dictation, using any speedwriting method, at the rate of 100 words per minute and transcribe at the rate of 30 net words per minute. Where the oral dictation skill is required, it is used in performing the typical duties of the class as shown in the "Examples of Duties" (located in the class specification). The Civil Service Commission approved the use of selective certification for this special skill on March 7, 1985.
For the complete job posting and to apply click here.
- (12/4/14) Litigation Secretary – Sacramento. Weintraub Tobin's Sacramento office is currently seeking a full-time (40 hours per week), experienced Litigation Secretary to join our Litigation/IP Practice Group. The successful candidate must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced and professional environment, enjoy working as part of a team, and demonstrate a commitment to quality client service. Under minimal supervision, the Litigation Secretary will be expected to carry out the following job duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain attorney calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, depositions, and travel, recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements and monitoring evidence-gathering.
- Produce legal information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics, coordinating case preparation and assuring that high priority items are completed in a timely manner.
- Prepare documents for state and federal court filings, discovery, arbitration, mediation and hearings.
- Read, sort, and date incoming mail. Ensure that outgoing mail is processed according to office procedures. If necessary, route mail to specific delivery service and follow up on timely delivery.
- Draft letters and documents, collect and analyze information, schedule couriers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions, coordinate preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals; prepare expense reports.
- Establish and maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems.
- Complete and submit conflict check forms, screening forms and new matter request forms.
- Maintain all client and general files. Conduct periodic review for possible storage of older files and prepare files to be closed.
- Provide exceptional client service to guests and clients whether in person or on the telephone.
- Maintain good public relations with clients and observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Input time entry; review and edit bills.
- Send and retrieve e-mail and faxes for attorney(s).
- Photocopy and assemble documents as required.
- Additional duties as assigned including assisting other secretaries, as needed.
The ideal candidate will have the following capabilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective communication skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Strong organizational skills
- Stress and time management skills
- Flexibility in dealing with multiple projects and assignments
- Strong client focus
Education and Experience:
- College degree preferred but not required.
- 8+ year's legal secretary experience with extensive knowledge of litigation.
- Familiarity with patent prosecution a plus.
- Advanced operation and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Type 50 wpm.
- Solid drafting and proofreading skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
Qualified candidates should send their cover letter, resume and salary requirement to email@example.com.
- (12/4/12) Litigation Paralegal – Sacramento. Weintraub Tobin is seeking an experienced Litigation Paralegal for our Sacramento office. The successful candidate must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, enjoy working as part of a team, and demonstrate a first-class commitment to client service. Under minimal supervision, the litigation paralegal will be expected to carry out the following job duties and responsibilities:
- Organize documents and coordinate document productions including bates-stamping, redaction, duplication and indexing of documents.
- Perform various document searches and factual research.
- Create and maintain internal case databases including searching for internal and external documents.
- Prepare for and attend depositions by gathering and preparing documents relevant to the deponent, organizing exhibits, taking notes, managing exhibits during the deposition and summarizing highlights of a proceeding.
- Work with attorneys and legal secretaries in the preparation and filing of all court documents.
- Act as a liaison between various internal departments, as well as outside vendors.
- Oversee the progress of documents through litigation, order transcripts/medical records, etc. from reporting services and fulfill requests from outside counsel and others.
- Prepare for and attend trials/arbitrations: Organize exhibits, files and all other supporting documents, coordinate trial set-up and logistics, and assist attorneys in the courtroom.
- Discovery: Organize documents, review, analyze and summarize discovery responses, and respond to discovery requests.
The ideal candidate will have the following capabilities:
- Superior attention to detail and organizational ability.
- Familiarity with Worldox or similar document management system.
- Ability to work simultaneously on a variety of projects and work effectively under pressure.
- Adept at working independently or on a team in providing timely service to attorneys.
- Communicates effectively with attorneys and legal personnel at all levels.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of five years of civil litigation experience.
- Paralegal certificate from ABA approved school is required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and litigation software applications including Casemap, Textmap, Relativity, Adobe Professional, and Sanction (or Trial Director).
Qualified candidates should send their cover letter, resume and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (12/2/14) Legal Assistant. Beutler Corporation is seeking an experienced Legal Assistant to provide full-time additional support to their in-house Legal Department. Must have experience in organizing and maintaining electronic files; preparation, proofing and filing of pleadings, discovery, correspondence and other legal documents; knowledge of State Court rules including e-filing; data entry; managing multi-party litigation; maintaining high volume calendars for multiple attorneys; and communicating with courts. Candidate must be highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, professional, reliable, and able to efficiently multi-task. Please e-mail cover letter and resume, with salary requirements to email@example.com.
- (11/24/14) Legal Assistant. Boutique law firm seeks experienced and hard-working legal assistant for immediate hire. Our firm is composed of two attorneys who were former partners at a mid-size Sacramento firm. In addition to legal assistant duties, applicants must be self-starters who are willing and able to help get this firm up and running as we are brand new. Applicants must be intelligent, detail-oriented, easy to get along with, and have at least two years of experience with civil litigation (including excellent calendaring, filing, and formatting skills). Areas of practice include business litigation, contracts, real estate, employment, and construction law. Applicants should email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (11/18/14) Full-time Litigation Secretary. Rothschild Wishek & Sands LLP, is an AV-rated, seven-attorney, criminal defense and professional licensing firm. The firm has an immediate opening for a legal secretary. Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com with salary expectations with subject line "Legal Secretary."
- (11/18/14) Experienced Legal Assistant/Receptionist – Small firm on University Ave has an immediate need for a Legal Assistant/Receptionist, preferably experienced in matters under the probate court, including trusts, probates, conservatorships and guardianships. The ideal candidate will have a professional and pleasant demeanor to interact with clients, strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain focus while multi-tasking, as well as the ability to assess, revise and balance priorities. Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to proofread and format legal documents are required. Strong attention to detail is an important quality, especially the ability to calendar and track all deadlines and court hearings with a tickler system, prepare complete court filings for the runner and serve POS and NOH as needed. Please email cover letter and resume, with salary requirements, to HLOPC.HR@gmail.com.
- (11/4/14) Full-Time Litigation Secretary. Donahue Davies LLP, a well-established Folsom area 12 attorney Insurance Defense/Litigation Firm is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable litigation secretary who is organized, detail-oriented, professional, able to efficiently multi-task and has proven experience working with managing partner plus two attorneys.
Qualifications include: 5 + years current experience in insurance/litigation defense, excellent communication skills, advanced skills in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel. Current knowledge of state and federal court rules is mandatory as well as efficiency in an automated calendaring program.
The firm offers competitive salary and benefits. Please include salary requirements when submitting cover letter, resume, and professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (9/30/14) Experienced Litigation Secretary (Sacramento). Sacramento law firm seeks experienced litigation secretary, minimum 5 years of experience as a legal secretary.
Duties / Experience Required include:
- Heavy typing (minimum 90 words per minute).
- Preparation and electronic filing of legal pleadings.
- Data entry.
- Managing attorney calendars.
- Correspondence and communication with clients, courts, and attorneys.
This position requires in depth knowledge of WordPerfect, Outlook, Sage Timeslips and Adobe. Knowledge of federal and state rules of court and civil procedure is necessary. Applicants must be able to work under deadlines, communicate effectively, and have exceptional attention to detail and accuracy. Problem solving skills, a good memory, and organization are a must for this busy desk.
We are located in Sacramento in the Howe Ave. / Fair Oaks Blvd. vicinity. We are a bankruptcy firm that has a select group of clients that we serve, not the general public. Bankruptcy experience is desired. Please submit cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to email@example.com for consideration. Please detail in your cover letter what specific experience that you have that corresponds with the duties listed above. Please only reply to this ad if you have the skills listed in the experienced required section.
Advertise with SLSA -