Jump down to the list of employment opportunities
This free benefit offered by SLSA provides the legal community with a place to post job openings for all categories of job positions.
SLSA assists in every possible manner to procure employment for members of this association and cooperates with attorneys in filling positions in law offices, but in no event does this committee act as an employment agency.
Employers desiring/needing to place an advertisement for employment on SLSA's website may view the "Employment Opportunities" page on this website and format the advertisement like those already posted. Employers will also need to give the following information to the Employment Chair: name, firm name, address, phone number(s), areas of law practice, software used, position available, and years of experience required. The attorney/employer is requested to e-mail the Employment Chair with the advertisement formatted like those currently posted on the "Employment Opportunities" page. Advertisements for employment are usually posted as soon as possible.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to contact the employers, schedule interviews, exchange résumés, and to discuss benefits and salary, etc. All information is listed until notification to drop the name/position is given to the Employment Chair.
The Employment Chair retains editing privileges on all ads requested and placed on this website.
Please contact the Employment Chair, Jaymie Moralez at Jaymie.Moralez@jud.ca.gov, for additional information.
SACRAMENTO LSA DOES NOT MAINTAIN A REGISTER OF APPLICANTS SEEKING EMPLOYMENT.
(NOTICE: This is a free service to employers and members of the Sacramento Legal Secretaries Association; however, we are not an employment agency. This website is updated and maintained with employment listings on a regular basis, and employers are asked to notify the webmaster as soon as a position has been filled. The policy of the Sacramento Legal Secretaries Association regarding the posting of ads for employment is to leave the item listed on the website and in our monthly bulletin for up to three months or when we are notified that the position has been filled, whichever is longer. The Webmaster retains editing privilege on all ads requested to be placed on this website.)
Last updated 11/25/14
- (11/24/14) Legal Assistant. Boutique law firm seeks experienced and hard-working legal assistant for immediate hire. Our firm is composed of two attorneys who were former partners at a mid-size Sacramento firm. In addition to legal assistant duties, applicants must be self-starters who are willing and able to help get this firm up and running as we are brand new. Applicants must be intelligent, detail-oriented, easy to get along with, and have at least two years of experience with civil litigation (including excellent calendaring, filing, and formatting skills). Areas of practice include business litigation, contracts, real estate, employment, and construction law. Applicants should email their resume to email@example.com.
- (11/18/14) Full-time Litigation Secretary. Rothschild Wishek & Sands LLP, is an AV-rated, seven-attorney, criminal defense and professional licensing firm. The firm has an immediate opening for a legal secretary. Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with salary expectations with subject line "Legal Secretary."
- (11/18/14) Experienced Legal Assistant/Receptionist – Small firm on University Ave has an immediate need for a Legal Assistant/Receptionist, preferably experienced in matters under the probate court, including trusts, probates, conservatorships and guardianships. The ideal candidate will have a professional and pleasant demeanor to interact with clients, strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain focus while multi-tasking, as well as the ability to assess, revise and balance priorities. Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to proofread and format legal documents are required. Strong attention to detail is an important quality, especially the ability to calendar and track all deadlines and court hearings with a tickler system, prepare complete court filings for the runner and serve POS and NOH as needed. Please email cover letter and resume, with salary requirements, to HLOPC.HR@gmail.com.
- (11/4/14) Full-Time Litigation Secretary. Donahue Davies LLP, a well-established Folsom area 12 attorney Insurance Defense/Litigation Firm is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable litigation secretary who is organized, detail-oriented, professional, able to efficiently multi-task and has proven experience working with managing partner plus two attorneys.
Qualifications include: 5 + years current experience in insurance/litigation defense, excellent communication skills, advanced skills in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel. Current knowledge of state and federal court rules is mandatory as well as efficiency in an automated calendaring program.
The firm offers competitive salary and benefits. Please include salary requirements when submitting cover letter, resume, and professional references to: email@example.com.
- (10/29/14) Litigation Secretary – Natural Resources. Downey Brand LLP seeks a Litigation Secretary for its Downtown Sacramento office. The person hired for this position will work within the firm's Water Law practice. Candidates must have significant (5+ years) experience in a litigation environment, and have thorough knowledge of federal and state court procedures and timelines. Experience dealing with public/administrative agencies is also desired. Requires 75+ wpm accurate typing, word processing and proficiency with MS Office applications including Office 2010 and Windows 7. Ability to accurately proofread documents, set priorities and work under pressure is critical. Must have a positive attitude, strong written and verbal communication skills, impeccable attendance and punctuality, a strong work ethic, and be highly organized with an extreme level of attention to detail. Salary is commensurate with experience, and firm-paid health benefits and parking are provided. Qualified applicants may submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to the HR Director via the firm's web application: https://lawcruit.micronapps.com/sup/v3/lc_supp_app_frm.aspx?lawfirm=169&id=42. No telephone calls please. Downey Brand LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
- (10/28/14) Legal Assistant – City of Eureka. The City of Eureka is accepting applications for the position of Legal Assistant. Please click here for full job description and how to apply.
- (10/10/14) Litigation Practice Assistant/Legal Secretary. Stoel Rives LLP is seeking a full-time litigation practice assistant/legal secretary in its Sacramento office. A minimum of five years' experience is required. The person hired for this position will work remotely from Sacramento with two lawyers in Truckee and one lawyer in Sacramento, and will be required to work one day a week in the Truckee office to get integrated with those lawyers. Candidates must have comprehensive knowledge of state and federal court rules and procedures, and the ability to manage heavy litigation matters and deadlines. Position requires strong organizational and administrative skills, excellent attention to detail and the ability to work well under pressure. The ideal candidate will be team-oriented, flexible, show strong initiative, and have excellent communication skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite expected. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Please include salary requirements when submitting resume and cover letter. EEO/AA. Must apply on the website by clicking here.
- (10/6/14) Full-Time Legal Secretary. O'Laughlin & Paris LLP (Firm) is looking for both legal secretary and office manager support. The Firm currently has four attorneys, three in the Sacramento office and one in the Chico office. The Firm practices in natural resources law, focused on water right and quality laws. Candidates must have at least five years' experience as a legal secretary. Excellent organizational and verbal skills, knowledge of court rules, calendaring, e-filing and filing procedures, and strong computer skills are desired. Candidates must be comfortable communicating and multi-tasking with multiple attorneys. Expected work week will be 8:30 to 4:30, Monday through Friday. Salary will be commensurate with experience and full medical benefits are offered.
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
Legal Support Duties
- Welcome guests and clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Transcribe, format, input, edit, retrieve, copy, and transmit communications.
- Review, format, and route correspondence, reports and legal documents; draft letters and documents.
- Initiate telecommunications and conferences; organize client conferences, and attorney meetings; schedule couriers, court reporters, and other special functions.
- Maintain attorney calendars; plan and schedule conferences, teleconferences, dispositions, and travel; calendar and monitor court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; anticipate changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Prepare pleadings; have knowledge of local and federal filing requirements; file documents with court; file documents electronically; and provide general litigation support.
- Format court documents pursuant to local and federal court rules; review documents for proper citation and format.
- Follow-up on delegated assignments.
- Maintain client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
Office Manager Duties
- Maintain office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements and coordinating necessary repairs.
- Develop and utilize filing and retrieval systems; maintain files in chronological, subject matter, or other organized fashion.
- Maintain office services by organizing office operations and procedures; document and input attorney billable time and reimbursable expenses; prepare invoices and bills; track payments in accounting software.
- Track, monitor and ensure compliance with continuing legal education requirements.
- Track and inform management regarding the expiration and renewal options of policies and protections carried by the firm, including, but not limited to insurance, health care, and other policies.
- Maintain current copy of employment handbook for reference and reliance by employees; track vacation and sick leave of employees.
- Maintain and make minor changes to firm website and firm marketing materials.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (10/3/14) Litigation Secretary. The Sacramento office of Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable litigation secretary who is highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, professional, reliable, able to efficiently multi-task and has proven experience working with three attorneys.
Minimum requirements include: 5 years experience, defense litigation a plus, excellent word processing skills, advanced skills in MS Word, Outlook and Excel, very familiar with state and federal court rules, efficient in calendaring through an automated program, able to generate TOA and TOC, and experience in e-filing.
Candidates should be able to grasp a variety of computer software programs with little training. Candidates must be able to work independently and with teams. Competitive salary and benefits. Please send in confidence cover letter and resume, with professional references to email@example.com.
- (9/30/14) Experienced Litigation Secretary (Sacramento). Sacramento law firm seeks experienced litigation secretary, minimum 5 years of experience as a legal secretary.
Duties / Experience Required include:
- Heavy typing (minimum 90 words per minute).
- Preparation and electronic filing of legal pleadings.
- Data entry.
- Managing attorney calendars.
- Correspondence and communication with clients, courts, and attorneys.
This position requires in depth knowledge of WordPerfect, Outlook, Sage Timeslips and Adobe. Knowledge of federal and state rules of court and civil procedure is necessary. Applicants must be able to work under deadlines, communicate effectively, and have exceptional attention to detail and accuracy. Problem solving skills, a good memory, and organization are a must for this busy desk.
We are located in Sacramento in the Howe Ave. / Fair Oaks Blvd. vicinity. We are a bankruptcy firm that has a select group of clients that we serve, not the general public. Bankruptcy experience is desired. Please submit cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Please detail in your cover letter what specific experience that you have that corresponds with the duties listed above. Please only reply to this add if you have the skills listed in the experienced required section.
- (9/17/14) Docketing Specialist - Sacramento Office. Downey Brand LLP, Sacramento's largest law firm, seeks an experienced docket/calendar clerk. The primary function of the position will be to provide docketing support to attorneys, paralegals and legal secretaries. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: calendaring daily incoming mail; maintaining docket due dates and remarks in the docket system; researching state and federal court rules; preparation of daily and weekly calendar reports; performing conflict searches; reviewing client intake forms and communicating with attorneys to resolve potential conflicts of interest. Skills and experience required/desired: Must have three or more years of substantial experience computing calendar deadlines for state and federal courts using CompuLaw/Vision docketing software. Knowledge of court rules and procedures for both state and federal courts is a must; familiarity with legal terminology and documents involved in the court filing process is essential, as is a working knowledge of the litigation process. Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel, adaptability to change, and balancing competing demands in a fast-paced environment are imperative. Qualified applicants may submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to the Director of Human Resources via the firm's web application. No phone calls please. Downey Brand LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
- (8/20/14) Legal Secretary II Exam. The County of Sacramento is accepting applications for Legal Secretary II exam 28111-C. A Legal Secretary II performs a wide variety of specialized legal and general clerical work which includes composing and typing legal documents and correspondence; processing of legal documents, and maintaining legal case records. The work performed requires independent judgment/discretion and is subject to minimal direction and instruction. The range of duties typically involves performing work in multiple, unrelated areas of law and for several attorneys, and/or other staff. Incumbents may be required to use shorthand to perform some work assignments and frequently provide lead direction to other clerical staff.
Applicants must meet the special requirements below AND
EITHER: One year of experience in Sacramento County service in the class of Legal Secretary I OR Two years of clerical experience involving the preparation and processing of legal documents for court action such as those described in the Examples of Duties. Education or training from an accredited college, business school, or training school that is directly related to the Knowledge and Abilities specified for this class may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience (30 semester units or 45 quarter units equal one year of experience.)
All positions in this class require the ability to type from clear copy at the rate of 50 net words per minute.
Some positions in this class may require taking oral dictation involving legal terminology. To be eligible for appointment to a "short-hand-required" position, the applicant must have the ability to take oral dictation, using any speedwriting method, at the rate of 100 words per minute and transcribe at the rate of 30 net words per minute. Where the oral dictation skill is required, it is used in performing the typical duties of the class as shown in the "Examples of Duties" (located in the class specification). The Civil Service Commission approved the use of selective certification for this special skill on March 7, 1985.
For the complete job posting and to apply click here.
Advertise with SLSA -