Updated membership forms will be posted by April 15th.
We invite you to join SLSA. Membership is open to all Sacramento-area legal professionals, including legal secretaries, legal assistants, paralegals, attorneys, and all other legal staff. Benefits of membership include:
- Continuing Education – SLSA offers quality educational programs presented by experienced attorneys and other legal professionals at a discount to members. We’ll help you meet your CCLS and MCLE requirements without breaking your budget.
- Networking – Through educational meetings, seminars, conferences, and other events throughout the year, you’ll meet legal professionals just like you, all looking to sharpen and hone their skills.
- Savings – Members have access to discounts on the following:
- Financial Planning, Asset Allocation and Investment Management
- Long Term Care Insurance and Planning
- Retirement Plans
- Discounts Through CEB
- Discounts on Event Tickets through Working Advantage
- Workers’ Compensation
- Hertz Car Rental Discounts
- Other Benefits – Members may choose to join:
- LA Financial Federal Credit Union
- Provident Central Credit Union
- LPI’s Legal Specialization Sections (for an additional cost)
- Publications – Members receive the following publications:
- SLSA’s periodic bulletin, The Legal Eagle; and
- LPI’s quarterly magazine, The Legal Secretary.
Members qualify for discounts on the following Rutter Group publications:
- Legal Professionals Handbook; and
- Law Office Procedures Manual.
- Active. Persons with at least one year of legal experience qualify for Active Membership. Upon application and approval by SLSA’s membership, active members also become members of Legal Professionals, Inc. In addition to the benefits of SLSA, active members receive Legal Professionals, Inc.’s quarterly magazine, The Legal Secretary, as well as discounts on all Legal Professionals, Inc.’s events, such as the quarterly conferences and Regional Seminars.
- Student. Persons training to become a legal professional qualify for student membership. Upon completion of the required active legal office employment, student members may become full active members with all the rights and obligations of active membership. Student members are allowed to retain the student membership status for no more than one (1) year after becoming employed; and they are neither eligible for office nor have voting rights, but may serve on committees.
- Associate. Persons with a desire to become a legal professional but who have not met the one year of legal experience requirement qualify for associate membership. Upon completion of the required active legal office employment, associate members may become full active members with all the rights and obligations of active membership. Associate members are allowed to retain the associate membership status for no more than two (2) years after becoming employed; and they are neither eligible for office nor have voting rights, but may serve on committees.
Student and associate members do not hold voting rights within SLSA and are not members of Legal Professionals, Inc. However, student and associate members receive SLSA’s award-winning monthly bulletin, The Legal Eagle and discounts to SLSA events.
All applicants are required to submit an application along with the membership dues of $60 per fiscal year ($35 for students) before they can be recommended and accepted for membership. A late fee of $5 will be assessed for applications received after July 1, 2023
FISCAL YEAR: Our fiscal year is from May 1 to April 30. Dues for applicants inducted between the months of November and March are pro rated at $50.